Brian O. Bush
Center for Spoken Language Understanding
Institute on Development & Disability
Oregon Health & Science University
840 SW Gaines Street
Portland, OR 97239-3098
email: my lastname at ohsu dot edu
I am a PhD candidate at the Center for Spoken Language Understanding
at Oregon Health & Science University
under Alexander Kain. I
am currently writting my dissertation and plan on finishing in early
My long-term research goals are to develop novel methods in continuous
speech modeling for English. Specifically my work entails constructing
data-derived coarticulation models of continuous speech to allow
speaker-specific speech synthesis, making conversational speech more
intelligible, characterizing dysarthria, increasing accuracy in
automatic speech recognition, and increasing our understanding of
human speech production. Future work may involve applying this
approach to Japanese.
In addition to speech related research, I also continue with
NLP-related research and development. This work has focused on
language identification, encoding detection, text classification and
other tasks that are usually associated with content-filtering with a
focus on building production-quality systems.
Considering corporate positions in Japan.
- January 2014 - present
Staff Technologist at Sensory
Focus: Speaker verification and other speech-related research and development
- January 2014 - present
Founder of Bush Automation, LLC
Focus: NLP OEM products and services focused on the application
of machine learning to text processing
- October 2010 - November 2013
Senior Principal Software Engineer at Symantec Corporation
Focus: NLP product focused on text classification for the enterprise market
June 2003 - October 2010
Architect & Co-founder of RuleSpace, LLC
Focus: NLP product design, development for parental controls market
Refereed Publications (in bibtex)
- Thesis Proposal: Modeling Coarticulation in Continuous Speech at CSLU, OHSU on June 2, 2014.
- Modeling Coarticulation in Continuous Speech at CSLU, OHSU on December 16, 2013.
- Estimating Phoneme Formant Targets and Coarticulation Parameters of Conversational and Clear Speech at CSLU, OHSU on May 20, 2013.
- Estimating Phoneme Formant Targets and Coarticulation Parameters of Clear and Conversational Speech (qualifying exam talk) at CSLU, OHSU on December 7, 2012.
- Towards the Recovery of Targets from Coarticulated Speech for Automatic Speech Recognition at CSLU, OHSU on November 8, 2011.
- Estimating Parameters of a Coarticulation Model at CSLU, OHSU on August 2, 2011.
- B. Bush, A. Kain, Modeling Coarticulation in Continuous Speech, Interspeech 2014, pp.193-197, 2014. [pdf][poster][on location]
B. Bush, Language Identification of Tweets Using LZW
Compression. 3rd Pacific Northwest Regional NLP Workshop: NW-NLP
2014, April 24, 2014. [pdf][poster][on location]
- B. Bush, A. Kain, Estimating Phoneme Formant Targets and Coarticulation Parameters of Conversational and Clear Speech, ICASSP, pp.8017-8021, 2013. [pdf][poster][on location]
- B. Bush, J.-P. Hosom, A. Kain, and A. Amano-Kusumoto, Using a Genetic Algorithm to Estimate Parameters of a Coarticulation Model, Interspeech, pp.2677-2680, 2011. [pdf][poster]
- Hosom, John-Paul and Kain, Alexander and Bush, Brian, Towards the recovery of targets from coarticulated speech for automatic speech recognition, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 130(4), pp.2407-2407, 2011.
Rabelo, L., Bush, B., Jones, A., Using Genetic Algorithms for Job Shop Scheduling, Journal Mathematical Modeling and Scientific Computing, May 1998.
Bush, B., Kharoufeh, J., Rabelo, L., Development of an Evolutionary Scheme for Adaptive Fuzzy Design, Proceedings of the Adaptive Distributive Parallel Computing Symposium, Dayton, Ohio, August 8-9, 1996.
- Bush, B. and Rabelo, L. Evolutionary Scheme for Adaptive Fuzzy Design in Mechatronics, Proceedings of the NSF Mechatronics Workshop, San Francisco, CA, June 13-15, 1996, pp. 85-95.
Gilkinson, J., Rabelo, L., Bush, B., A Real World Scheduling Problem Using Genetic Algorithms, Computer & Industrial Engineering, An International Journal, Pergamon Press, Vol. 29, pp.177-182, 1995.
- python, tcl
- mentoring and entrepreneurship
Last modified: 16-Sep-2014